Here’s everything you need to know about Radiesse dermal filler.
- 1 What is Radiesse?
- 2 Unique features of Radiesse
- 3 Which areas can I treat with Radiesse?
- 4 How long is the Radiesse procedure?
- 5 How long does it take to see results of Radiesse?
- 6 How many sessions will it take for results to show?
- 7 Can Radiesse be combined with other product?
- 8 What is the difference between Radiesse and Radiesse(+) ?
- 9 What are the side effects of Radiesse?
- 10 How much does Radiesse cost?
- 11 How long does Radiesse last?
- 12 How do I find that best Radiesse treatment in Singapore?
What is Radiesse?
Radiesse is an injectable dermal filler that provides immediate volume correction and continues to work by stimulating the body’s own natural collagen production – for a long-lasting effect. In addition, Radiesse is capable of activating collagen production at the dermis resulting in firmer skin.
Radiesse has been one of my favourite products due to its ability to achieve several functions in 1 single session.
Radiesse is made up of 2 major components – Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microsphere and aqueous gel carrier containing sodium carboxymethylcellulose (CMC).
Once injected, it provides immediate volume correction contributed by the CMC component, the stimulation of fibroblast to produce its own natural collagen for a long-lasting effect is contributed by mainly the CaHA component.5
Over time, the gel is absorbed and the body metabolizes the CaHA microspheres, leaving behind a firm network of collagen fibres, which proves a long term structural support to the dermis, providing a lifting and contouring effect.5
Unique features of Radiesse
- High G’ – means that the filler is not likely to spread to other unintended areas. Indication – perfect material for chin, nose, cheek filler, contouring the lower face.
- Longevity of product – due to its collagen stimulating properties, results of Radiesse tend to last typically more than HA fillers typically up to 2 years
- Instant result – unlike other collagen stimulating fillers like sculptra, which is usually done over a few sessions and results to slowly build up，Radiesse provides instant result and continue to build on it.
- Collagen stimulating – improving skin texture from its collagen stimulating properties makes radiesse a perfect product for hand rejuvenation, which is now FDA approved! Many physicians have also demonstrated promising results in the treatment of acne scars and stretch marks!
- Safe product – compared to many ‘newer’ collagen stimulating products, Radiesse has been FDA approved since 2006. It is established to be hypoallergenic and biocompatible. This means that the risk of granuloma formation is minimal.
Which areas can I treat with Radiesse?
In its hyperdiluted form, Radiesse is also placed under the skin that firms up the skin to provide a more natural lifted appearance called Radiesse 3D vector lift.
By placing Radiesse under the skin, the collagen stimulating effects also improve skin texture and is commonly used off-label in the treatment of depressed acne scars.
How long is the Radiesse procedure?
Depending on the complexity of the treated condition, it usually takes about 10-30 minutes for each treated area.
How long does it take to see results of Radiesse?
You will notice immediate improvements straight after injection. There may be transient swelling, which usually resolves in the next few days.
How many sessions will it take for results to show?
When sufficient volume is placed, it takes only one session of treatment to produce good results. However, given that Radiesse is not ‘dissolvable’ it is very important not to over-do it. Therefore, your doctor may choose to top up fillers in 2-3 sessions to achieve the desired results.
Can Radiesse be combined with other product?
Based on studies done by Merz (the manufacturing company of both radiesse and HA filler, Boletero), there is good safety profile of combining Radiesse with HA fillers (boletero).
What is the difference between Radiesse and Radiesse(+) ?
Radiesse(+) contains 3% lignocaine, which is a common injectable anaesthetic used in aesthetic procedures.
This improvised version of Radiesse is modified to improve on patient comfort. Some doctors prefers to mix their own lignocaine into Radiesse rather than using Radiesse(+).
As many fillers are pre-mixed with lignocaine, Radiesse would be an option to individuals with anaesthetic allergies.
What are the side effects of Radiesse?
Radiesse is a premium filler with lots of evidence to support its use in aesthetic medicine. However, it is not without its risk.
As with all dermal fillers, common side effects include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These are transient and resolves without treatment. There is a very small chance of more severe complications. These complications are a result from injection of the filler into the blood vessels causing vascular compromise leading to blindness, skin necrosis and stroke.
Radiesse, with its unique properties, comes with its unique side effects unfortunately. As it contains a high G’, it is not a very forgiving product, when the product is injected it cannot be ‘moulded’ away and the undesired ‘bump’ can stay for a long time. Besides, a collagen stimulator filler unlike a HA filler, cannot be hydrolysed and dissolved with enzymes. Therefore, it is important to have the procedure done under a doctor who has good experience with the product. Although it is biocompatible and hypoallergic, but collagen stimulation is based on inducing a low-grade inflammation process. In rare cases, this inflammatory response could be exaggerated causing the body to wall off the foreign body causing granuloma.
How much does Radiesse cost?
Radiesse comes in 0.75cc or 1.5cc syringes. The cost of 1 syringe of Radiesse (0.75cc syringe) is about $800-$1000, which is usually a little more costly compared to 1 syringe of 1.0cc HA filler.
How long does Radiesse last?
Results lasts between 12-18 months. Of 114 patients who had done Radiesse hand rejuvenation, 86% of patients had maintained improvement at months 12.
How do I find that best Radiesse treatment in Singapore?
In conclusion, Radiesse is a good product and remains a popular filler of choice as the results are predictable, reproducible and extremely safe. It is a filler that has multiple function of filling, collagen stimulating and improving skin integrity.
However, it is not without its risk and any undesired effect is not easily correctable and can last for a long time.
It is important that you discuss your concerns with an experienced user of this product.