Getting rid of a double chin can be difficult. There are tons of reasons why a person develops a double chin, and knowing about them can help you a lot to avoid or reduce the double chin. It can be because of your bone structure, fat, or muscles.
You can find all sorts of face yogas/exercises throughout the internet, but proof of their effectiveness are not that strong. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try them as for some individuals can still benefit from such exercises.
Consulting with your doctor would be best to find out what’s causing the fat build-up under your chin and what treatment option(s) will work best for you.
A double chin commonly happens when a layer of fat builds up under your chin. This will then create an illusion effect of having two chins due to the wrinkling of the saggy skin. A double chin is usually associated with weight gain. Some people may also have a double chin due to genetics and the sagging of skin from ageing. A double chin is usually unavoidable, especially if a person does not have a healthy lifestyle. If you are planning to get rid of your double chin, there are several things that you can do, such as chin exercises and opting for medical treatments.
If you are looking for an inexpensive way to reduce the appearance of your double chin, chin exercises may work for you. Chin exercises may not work for others, especially those who have severe cases of sagging skin, but such exercises can help strengthen and tone the muscles under your chin. That is if all exercises are done regularly and adequately. Here are six chin exercises that may help you get rid of your double chin.
- Scoop – To begin this exercise, open your mouth and roll the bottom lip as it goes over your teeth. Now, imagine that you are going to scoop water from a bowl using your lower jaw. Move your head downwards in a scooping motion, then close your mouth as you lift your head back up. Make sure that the corners of your lips are relaxed as you perform this exercise. Repeat the process five to seven times. Do this regularly during the day or at night before going to bed. This is an effective double chin reduction exercise as the scooping motion creates a pressure in the jaw area, burning any excess fats.
- Touch Your Nose – Having a double chin may also mean that there is a weakness in the hyoid muscles. A way to get rid of double chin is to strengthen the hyoid muscles. To begin the “touch your nose” exercise, you will start by sticking your tongue out as far as it can go. Next step is to let the tip of your tongue reach your nose. Also, you will have to keep your lips relaxed while doing this exercise. It is mainly your tongue doing all the work. Repeat the process five times. Do this in the morning or at night before going to bed.
- Kiss the Giraffe – To begin this exercise, stand straight with your arms and shoulders relaxed. Next step is to tilt your head up until you are facing the ceiling on top of you. Pout your lips and extend them upwards as if you are trying to kiss a giraffe. We all know that Giraffes have long necks which means you will have to extend your lips as further as it can reach. If this step is done correctly, the muscles surrounding the chin and neck should feel a flexed sensation. As your lips are extended, hold that position for 5 to 20 seconds. After 5 seconds of rest, repeat the process. Do this 10 to 15 times.
- Smile – Start off this exercise by clenching your teeth with the mouth closed, and smiling as if you are stretching the corners of your lips as wide as it can reach. Next step is to push the tongue against the hard palate. This step will increase the pressing force. If done properly, you will feel a strong tension under your chin. Hold this position for about five seconds. Relax your mouth for three seconds after one set. Repeat exercise 5 to 8 times. This exercise will help burn any excess fat under the chin reducing the appearance of a double chin.
- Puffy Cheeks – This exercise will not only reduce the appearance of a double chin but will also burn some excess fat in the cheeks. To begin this exercise, start by inhaling deep from your mouth and filling it with air. Close your mouth to trap the air inside. This will create a puffed up appearance in your cheeks. While holding that position, press your palms (make sure that both palms are clean) on your cheeks as if you are trying to let the air out. Hold this position for five seconds, then release the air. Relax for 3 seconds after each set. Repeat this exercise 5 to 6 times.
- Chin Slap – Begin this exercise by sitting straight and facing forward. Next step is to carefully slap the lower jaw or under the chin using the back of your hand. This exercise does not require you to use too much force when slapping. Be gentle but make sure that you are creating enough force that will trigger the burning of fats under your chin. Repeat the careful slapping at a regular pace for 30 seconds. Doctors have recommended doing this exercise three times a day (preferably at home). When done regularly, your double chin will begin to be less visible as the skin tightens.
Double Chin Removal Treatments
For some people, the mentioned facial exercises are not enough to completely get rid of their double chin. This is where medical treatments such as HIFU and Ultherapy comes in. Doctors have recommended a list of non-invasive treatment procedures to reduce the appearance of a double chin. Such treatments include:
- HIFU – HIFU or High-Intensity Focused Ultrasound is an effective treatment that tightens the skin and melts fat. Its capabilities make it a perfect treatment to improve laugh lines, eye bags, sagging skin (double chin), wrinkles, and droopy jowls. HIFU is said to be a revolutionary treatment. It allows patients to achieve a facelift without the need to undergo surgery, which makes it a good option for individuals who are afraid to go under the knife. The treatment works by delivering beams of ultrasound energy into the skin to trigger the stimulation of collagen production. This is what creates the lifting effect. HIFU is also an effective anti-ageing treatment.
- Ultherapy – Ultherapy is an FDA approved non-invasive treatment that delivers beams of ultrasound energy into the skin. The beams of energy will then heat the deeper layers to trigger the stimulation of collagen production. The process helps to tighten the connective tissues (collagen and elastin fibres) found deep within the skin. Ultherapy works effectively on patients who suffer from loose skin, mainly those aged 30 years and older. Anything associated with ageing, Ultherapy can treat. This includes wrinkles, double chin, and even fine lines on the chest area. Ultherapy is also a good option for patients looking for non-invasive medical treatments.
- Threadlift Reduction of Underchin – A thread lift is a non-invasive alternative to a facelift. The treatment works by using threads to achieve a lifting effect. A thread lift uses biodegradable PDO threads which are safe to use for double chin removal and boosting the production of collagen and elastin fibres. After several sessions, you will notice that your skin is brighter, healthier, and smoother. Also, your jawline will be more defined. For people who usually have a busy schedule, a thread lift is the best option compared to surgery. Unlike a facelift surgery procedure that takes about 2 to 3 weeks of downtime, a thread lift will only take a few days of recovery time.
- Botox Underchin Tightening – Botulinum Toxin or Botox is widely used to reduce the appearance of crow’s feet, frown lines, and wrinkles. It has also been proven to be an effective non-invasive neck lift treatment. As the doctor injects the substance into the affected skin area, it narrows and lifts the lower portion of the face giving the patient a youthful appearance. A Botox treatment can take up to an hour to complete. This makes it an ideal option for individuals who have a busy schedule. Most celebrities avail of a Botox treatment. Results from Botox will be visible 10 to 14 days after the procedure and will last for about 3 to 4 months.
- Cryolipolysis – This treatment can also be referred to as “cool sculpting” which treats a double chin. Cryolipolysis works by chilling the fat cells as it reaches a freezing point. The process damages the membranes so the body can absorb and metabolize it. The treatment may take about an hour to complete, which also makes it a good option for patients who are busy. Cryolipolysis is a safe, non-invasive procedure that can be taken repeatedly. Results may start to show after two months. The treatment not only works effectively in reducing a double chin, but it can also be used to eliminate fats on the waist.